Sunday, August 7, 2011

How To Make Homemade Relish For Canning

When I first started making relish, I thought it would be a hard and tedious task. Once I made my first batch, I realized that it was a lot easier than what I thought it would be.

Relishes make a great accompaniment for hot dogs, hamburgers, poultry and fish. You can also use it on crackers or your favorite party bread.

To get started, you will need a few supplies:

water bath canner
canning jars, rings and seals (I used pint-sized jars)
ladle (for spooning the hot mixture into the jars)
funnel
jar lifter (to lift the jars out of the hot water)
2 oven mitts (I like using mitts to prevent any accidental burns to my hands)
clean cotton drying cloth or kitchen towel

You will want to follow the instructions that came with your water bath canner for sterilizing and processing your jars. Always inspect your jars for defects before using them.

No comments:

Post a Comment