Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Canning - How To Make Apple, Banana and Pumpkin Butters


During the fall months, I look forward to going to our local orchard and purchasing some fresh fruits and vegetables. After I get home, I enjoy getting out my water bath canner and canning supplies, and making up a few batches of various butters.

Canning is a lot easier than it sounds and making butters is great for beginners. You can find various cookbooks out in the marketplace or you can search various online websites for instructions on how to do water bath canning.

I like to process my butters in 4 ounce sized canning (mason) jars, but if you have a larger family, you can certainly use the 8 ounce size. You always want to start out with good quality fruits and/or vegetables and use clean, sterilized mason jars which are specifically manufactured for home canning.

Here are the 3 recipes that my family enjoys making.

Apple Butter

16 cups applesauce
1/2 cup vinegar
3 lb. granulated sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

No comments:

Post a Comment